Monday, July 7, 2014

Welcome!

Welcome to The Theatrical Thinker blog. My name is Tyler Dallis and I will post everything theatre related. Give you update on shows, how to build stuff and other neat theatre tips and tricks. Lets talk about making a schedule. How does three days a week sound? Okay then, it's settled.
Monday: Show Updates
----------------Updates on shows that I am associated with, reviews on shows that I have seen, or shows I am interested in.

Wednesday: Tips and Trick in the Theater
----------------Tips and tricks on how to build certain things you might need for one of your shows. Painting techniques. Safety first. How to decorate a stage once a set is build. Costuming 101. Personal Hygiene. Warm ups and acting games.

Friday: Stage Craft
----------------Basically, technical theatre. TT is what I am majoring in so I have more knowledge in that area of the theater.

Some information about myself.
Well, I am currently in college at Crowder College in Neosho, Mo studying theatre with an amazing set of people. Our department head is no other than Ms. NaTasha Jane O'Brien, she likes to be called Tash. She attended Crowder when she was in school and has been working as a professional actress for the last 10 years. She recently came back to Missouri to teach some classes but applied for the head of the department and got the job. Before Tash was hired, our old department head hired Mr. Ben Davies. Ben is from England and is engaged to Tash, so we are basically a big happy family here! Ben has taught me loads of things in the scene shop where we both spend most of our day. I recently accepted an apprenticeship with Ben. I start in August when school is back in session. Tash recently hired a new Costumer and Make-up Artist but I have yet to be introduced to them. I'm sure they are excellent in every way or Tash wouldn't have hired them.

 Being apart of a small community college theatre program has it's pros and cons. Along with myself, there are five other men and three women. We have all became so close that when a student graduates and goes to a new school, it is like loosing apart of your family. We have yet to see our new freshman, but rumor has it we are getting quite a few new members to our family. Every theatre student is required to audition for every show. On the audition form, your would write acting or tech crew. If you are cast and cannot take the role you received, you must respectfully decline the role. However, every student who receives a theatre scholarship must work in the scene shop. 30 hours per semester for a scholarship under $500 and 60 hours per semester for anything over $500. I fall in the 6 hour club.

Working in my theatre is the most fun I have ever had. I didn't really like high school, but who did? I have worked so hard to get where I am today. I went to a small high school and my graduating class was 18 including me. I was the only person who liked being about of theatre and drama. I was bullied for being different. I went to college expecting the same treatment but to my surprise, I was greeted with open arms. College is an amazing place. I highly suggest all the people who are pursuing theatre, acting, or anything else performance related, to go to college. There are examples of people who got there big break and never finished school. But the experience you get from working with people just like you in one of the most satisfying feeling you could ever get, next to winning an Oscar, Tony, or Golden Globe. Stay in school and get an education and you can do great things in the theatre.

Stay Crazy, Tyler!

No comments:

Post a Comment